Sunday 8 July 2012

Omniscience.dec!

Omniscience
I am pretty sure this is the highest average mana cost per card deck that I have ever made in the cube but it simply had to be done. I was surprised at how well it worked and how fun it actually is to play (although most certainly not against it..). I could have gone an artifact ramp route with this deck but it would have ended up very similar to the standard Tinker style deck and so I wanted to see if I could make it work more like a control deck and be more original. Without ramp the very earliest you can go off is turn three with Show and Tell but more consistently it is around turn five for the other two ways to cheat out an Omniscience, those being Academy Rector and Dream Halls. The bottom end of the deck was all card quality spells and efficient control cards with the top end providing good redundancy and utility on the combo win. 

24 Spells

Baleful StrixVampiric Tutor
Brainstorm
Cabal Therapy
Swords to Plowshares

Senei's Divining Top

Augur of Bolas
Snapcaster Mage
Baleful Strix
Demonic Tutor

Lat-Nam's Legacy
Arcane Denial

Show and Tell
Vindicate
Dromar's CharmDromar's Charm

Academy Rector

Dream Halls

Terminus
Yawgmoth's Bargain
Consecrated Sphinx

Temporal Mastery
Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite

Sphinx of the Steel Wind

Omniscience
Dream HallsEmrakul, the Eons Torn

16 Lands

Shelldock Isle
Marsh Flats
Polluted Delta
Flooded Strand
Underground Sea
Tundra
Scrublands
Watery Grave
Hallowed Fountain
Underground River
Adarkar Wastes
Sunken Ruins
Plains
Swamp
2 Islands

Shelldock Isle
This is one of the best I have seen Dream Halls be as you only really need to use it once to be vastly ahead of your opponent due to the quality of your high end. It seems like it should be most at home in a storm style blue deck however I have found those can run out of steam quite easily and fizzle out. I made sure to include as many gold cards as possible to facilitate the Dream Halls in a three colour deck and limited myself to just one threat that couldn't be played using it which I thought was pretty justifiable given how much Emrakul owns when you get him out in one of the other ways the deck has to offer. Supposedly this is Show and Tell and Omniscience however Shelldock Isle can get it done. I don't like the card and only played it due to it having so much synergy with the deck. I don't find it enjoyable to win games by randomly lucking out and getting something massive into play for free. To be balanced in 40 card decks it should be 12-15 cards left in a library and not 20 and even then the card is a bit random, mostly it does very little or nothing and every now and again it wins a game out of nowhere. Half the time it takes away a good endgame card and makes your going off  less effective.

With such a high end lots of card quality spells were essential and more would not have been a bad thing. The main thing to get right in a deck like this is the ratio of control/disruption to tutor/card quality to actual threats. Typically reanimator decks will play 3 or 4 top end threats to bring in for the win and I was a touch nervous about the much higher number I as trying to get away with but due to the nature of the deck and Dream Halls I think I got it about right, either that or I draw very well!

Consecrated Sphinx
The deck plays somewhat like a control deck until going off is in sight and then it shifts into combo gear and ends the game in dramatic short order. This is an unusual way to build magic decks but can work, the fact that your low end control is a bit thinner on the ground matters less as you can quickly regain all of that lost tempo. It also means that you have more security and long game when you do go off. Many combo decks cannot cope with disruption and despite going off will not be able to finish the deal.

I played a selection of threats that were quite castable in control decks such as the Consecrated Sphynx rather than something more beefy like Progenitus as it gave me the option to play entirely like a control deck should the combo fail in some way. This deck felt tier one in power but I cannot imagine there are many other ways to put Omniscience to good use beyond this deck style and with just one home I cannot really justify the card an A cube slot. I do hope another home for Omniscience crops up as it is different and fun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment